Developer Quote: "Bring your Skype contacts closer with full screen video at your fingertips."
- COST: Free - APP STORE STARS: 4-1/2
- Categories: Communications, Lifestyle, Native, Social Networking, Video
Now you can enjoy large visuals with Skype for iPad. Not only can you make video calls with this app, but you may also instant message or call anyone on Skype. Purchasing Skype credit will enable you to call landlines and other mobile phones at affordable rates. Some of the convenient and easy-to-use features included free of Skype for iPad are as follows:
• Join Skype on the web or sign in on your device to access your account.
• If you already have a Skype account, your Skype contacts will automatically be on your iPad.
• Easily add new Skype contacts.
• Call, video or instant message your contacts in one touch.
• Flick through recent calls and instant messages in your Skype for iPad history.
• Skype for iPad works over Wi-Fi or 3G (operator data charges may apply). Call Skype contacts on their iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, PC, Mac and even Skype enabled TVs.
• Talk face-to-face or show what you’re seeing with front and back-facing cameras.
• Use Skype for iPad to call anyone else on Skype – and enjoy near CD quality (SILK) sound.
• Instant message and add emoticons to personalize your messages.
You can also purchase the following services as needed:
• Make cheap calls to landlines or mobiles from your iPad.
• Get an Online Number from Skype so people can call you on your iPad.
• Pay As You Go with Skype Credit for those who only use Skype every now and again.
• Pay monthly with a subscription if you use Skype a lot.
Since I already have a Skype ID, I simply logged in and found a few nice surprises. Everyone in my iPad/iPhone phone book was already loaded in the app and visible in extra large thumbnails. If you tap the top left icon, which is My Info, you can adjust your Status, My Profile, Call Forwarding, Skype Credit, an Online Number and Voicemail here, as well as sign out of the app if you choose. Tap Tags and it will organize various sets of numbers such as All Contacts, iPad Contacts, Online Contacts, Saved Phone Numbers (which for me are those most commmonly used) and Skype Contacts. Once you tap on any contact list, you will see the phone icon and plus sign to Search Skype Directory as well as Save a Phone Number.
I found all these features to be well organized and truly enjoyed a sharp, clear video call. Since you can use Skype with 3G, you are not limited to making calls only in your home. Don't forget you can also simply use the text message feature or make a call without video (which may be a very rare occurrence!) Take your video calling to the next level with Skype, and see how clear and close-up your friends and family can be!
COOL CONCLUSION: "Enjoy the pleasure of clearly seeing the ones you care about on full screen next time you want to chat, using Skype for iPad."
--Date/Version: Released 8/2/11 - Version 1.0.1273
--iOS/Age Rating: This app requires iOS 4.2 or later. Rated 4+.
--Developer Link: Skype Limited
Visit the iTunes App Store for more details, and to download:
SKYPE FOR IPAD